Northern Gateway School Division
COVID-19 Information for Families and Staff
All K-12 Classes Cancelled Until Further Notice
On March 15, 2020, the Government of Alberta announced a province-wide school closure, canceling all classes indefinitely. This means:
- All classes, Kindergarten to Grade 12, are canceled until further notice
- All school pre/playschool programs are canceled until further notice
- Community use of school facilities is canceled until further notice
We understand that school closures have a profound impact on families and that parents have many questions. We appreciate your patience and understanding during these unprecedented times.
Playgrounds Closed Until Further Notice
All playgrounds on Northern Gateway Public Schools property are closed to the public indefinitely, to help reduce the spread of COVID-19. We ask families to say off playgrounds as play structures are not cleaned or sanitized.
Work-From-Home Staff Protocol
NGPS has implemented a work-from-home protocol. Some critical staff remain in the school facilities. This decision aligns with new public health measures that include restrictions on gatherings of more than 15 people.
Continuing Student Learning
On March 20, 2020, the Government of Alberta released new Content Delivery Guidelines to direct how students will learn while in-school classes are canceled.
- All Kindergarten to Grade 12 students, regardless of their geographic location or socioeconomic status, will receive at-home learning opportunities, either through online means or through other accommodations, such as course packages and telephone check-ins.
- The Education Minister affirmed that every K-12 student will receive final grades and a report card for the 2019-2020 school year and that students who were on track to progress to the next grade, will do so.
- Provincial Achievement Tests and Grade 12 Diploma Exams are canceled.
NGPS staff have been working hard to re-envision learning within this new context, adapting lessons for online formats, planning for ongoing technology needs and keeping students and parents informed. Click Here to learn more.
Learning will continue through a variety of online learning platforms, telephone calls, emails and learning packages. All students and families have been contacted by their school and/or teachers to discuss their learning plan going forward.
Elementary/Junior/Senior High Schools
Box 140, Darwell, AB T0E 0L0
Elmer Elson Elementary School
4215 Geinger Avenue, Mayerthorpe AB T0E 1N0
Box 210 Alberta Beach AB T0E 0A0
Mayerthorpe Junior/Senior High School
Box 40, Mayerthorpe AB T0E 1N0
Onoway Elementary School
Box 399 Onoway AB T0E 1V0
Onoway Junior/Senior High School
Bag 340, Onoway AB T0E 1V0
Rich Valley School
R.R. #1, Gunn AB T0E 1A0
Rochfort Bridge Colony School
Understanding that every student is unique, this School ensures every student feels welcome. The school focuses on teaching and inspiring the whole child, creating an environment where every student leaves school saying: "I matter. I've got this. I'm just getting started."
Box 840, 4816-49 Avenue, Whitecourt AB T7S 1N8
Sangudo Community School
This modern, fully-equipped school has a large gymnasium, Science, Foods and Music/Arts labs and an up-to-date computer program equipped with more than one hundred personal devices for student use, as well as desk top computers in each classroom.
Box 419, 5131 - 53 Ave, Sangudo AB T0E 2A0