Community Volunteer Income Tax Program
Tax Prep Help for Eligible County Residents
Each tax season, Lac Ste. Anne County FCSS provides tax prep assistance via its Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP). The CVITP is a partnership between the Canada Revenue Agency and Community Organizations that host tax preparation clinics and arrange for volunteers to prepare income tax and benefit returns for eligible citizens.
Under this program, volunteers assist qualified candidates in preparing their Income Tax Returns. The returns are then completed between March 1 and April 15 of each year.
2021 CVITP Program Now Underway
Lac Ste. Anne County Community Services is ready to begin processing 2020 income tax filings at no charge to those who qualify. Eligibility criteria for the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP) can be found in the About Free Tax Clinics section of the Revenue Canada website, or by calling the Community Services department to discuss.
CVITP is a partnership between the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and community organizations, whereby volunteers prepare income tax returns for eligible residents, review those results with the client, and with the client’s approval, e-file the return.
Additional Measures During COVID-19
Due to the current COVID-19 situation, and in an effort to protect everyone involved, all tax preparation requests must be made in advance. Also, please note that due to health risks associated with COVID-19, the document pick-up service will not be available this year.
To schedule an appointment (appointments are not being scheduled until further notice), or for more information regarding the program and its eligibility criteria, please contact County's Community Services Coordinator Taryn Monteith at 780.785.3411 (toll-free 1.866.880.5722) or tmonteith (@) LSAC.ca.
What's in the Community Services section...
The program does not offer clients personal care of any kind, such as but not limited to bathing, cooking, shopping, or transporting.
CVITP Program Qualifications and Restrictions
Returns cannot be completed by our volunteers if:
- You're self-employed or have employment expenses
- You have business income and expenses (unless income is in box 048 on a T4A slip and less than $1,000 with no related expenses)
- You have rental income and expenses
- You have interest income over $1,000
- You have capital gains or losses
- You have filed for bankruptcy
- You're completing a tax return for a deceased person
- You are a foreign worker
The following information will be required for CVITP volunteers to complete your return:
- Personal information (address, birthdate, Social Insurance Number, marital status)
- Dependents’ information (spouse/children’s names, birth dates)
- All “T” slips (T4, T4A, OAS, etc)
- All forms, schedules and labels you have received from Revenue Canada
- Receipts for any expenses, such as medical, moving, tuition, sporting activities, etc.
- Previous year’s tax return, if available